Help by sharing this information to go further Europe – Central Asia Follow the news on Europe – Central Asia Organisation News News Europe – Central Asia June 8, 2021 Find out more Reporters Without Borders today hailed the Serbian parliament’s approval of a bill turning the country’s public TV and radio network into an independent body and urged the government to implement the new law without delay.”After such a long debate about it, this is urgent,” said Reporters Without Borders secretary-general Robert Ménard in a letter to federal information secretary Slobodan Orlic. “The new management of the state TV and radio, RTS, as well as the new body assigning broadcasting frequencies must be truly independent of the authorities.””We are especially concerned that the distribution of frequencies does not undermine news diversity, which has blossomed in recent years with the opening of more broadcasting outlets in Serbia,” he said. “We ask you to bear in mind the concerns of the Association of Independent Electronic Media about this and see that it is involved in decisions.”The law, passed on 17 July, is the first of a series of measures dealing with information that were the focus of broad public discussion last year. It comes nearly two years after the fall of Slobodan Milosevic’s regime in October 2000. Since then, the two main obstacles to freedom of information – the status of RTS and freeze in assigning other frequencies – have remained. The new law makes RTS a “public service” independent of the government and sets up an independent body to assign frequencies to new media, most of which currently broadcast without a licence.Reporters Without Borders notes that RTS, along with the Tanjug news agency, the newspaper Borba, Radio Jugoslavia and the TV station Yu Info, were all controlled and funded by the government until October 2000. RTS, with debts of more than _20 million, ageing equipment and a bloated staff, was especially dependent on the government. Key posts in RTS were often filled by friends of the government or political parties.The assignment of broadcasting frequencies to other privately-owned or local media was frozen last year. All the media refused a licence by the Milosevic regime still do not have one, while media that were close to the old regime, such as the TV networks TV Pink and TV BK, have started up new stations and are now stronger.Reporters Without Borders also notes that the criminal code, with its especially harsh clauses about defamation, has still not been amended. The Serbian parliament approved a bill turning the country’s public TV and radio network into an independent body. Reporters Without Borders urged the government to implement the new law without delay and to ensure that the distribution of frequencies to other media does not undermine news diversity. “We’ll hold Ilham Aliyev personally responsible if anything happens to this blogger in France” RSF says News RSF calls for a fully transparent investigation after mine kills two journalists in Azerbaijan July 19, 2002 – Updated on January 20, 2016 New law makes public TV and radio independent RSF_en News June 7, 2021 Find out more Receive email alerts Respect judicial independence in cases of two leading journalists in Serbia and Montenegro, RSF says June 4, 2021 Find out more
Press Association Wilshere was subsequently reminded about his responsibilities by the club and also then issued an apology via Twitter for any offence caused. The FA, though, had issued a written warning to the player for past behaviour and so moved to open a formal disciplinary case against the England midfielder, the rap sheet being his “conduct in making and/or inciting certain comments during the club’s open bus trophy tour was improper and/or brought the game into disrepute”. Having accepted the charge, Wilshere, currently away on international duty, requested a non-personal hearing, which will see written submissions taken by an independent disciplinary commission, which once it sits in due course will decide whether to impose the expected financial penalty or instead issue a suspension. Following England’s goalless draw with the Republic of Ireland on Sunday, Wilshere had looked to put the incident behind him. ”I was a little (disappointed with the charge), but you know that is something the FA are dealing with and my club are dealing with so what will be, will be,” Wilshere said. ”I have always had that bond with the Arsenal fans since I was young because I came through the club. I grew up at Arsenal and I love the fans but, believe it or not, I have actually got family who are Tottenham fans so it’s nothing personal against them, it was just a bit of fun.” Press Association Sport understands because the incident did not happen on the pitch and therefore does not fall under the usual ‘Fast Track’ process, while also taking into account being out of regular season, no specific time frame is in place. However, the matter is expected to be resolved sooner rather than later, perhaps early next week, and certainly all disciplinary procedures will be completed well ahead of the new domestic campaign, which sees Arsenal take on Premier League champions Chelsea in the FA Community Shield at Wembley on August 2. Wilshere, who came through the Gunners’ youth ranks, took to the microphone to mock the club’s fierce rivals with a foul-mouthed taunt as the players celebrated on a stage outside the Emirates Stadium on May 31. In similar scenes to 12 months ago, Wilshere then proceeded to lead the massed ranks of Arsenal supporters in a chant which included expletives against Spurs, who again finished below their north London neighbours in the Barclays Premier League table. Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere has accepted a charge of misconduct from the Football Association following anti-Tottenham chants during the FA Cup victory parade and requested a non-personal hearing, Press Association Sport understands.
14 May 2014 Vodacom Bulls flyhalf Handre Pollard will captain the Junior Springboks at the 2014 IRB Junior World Championship (JWC) in New Zealand in June, South Africa under-20 coach Dawie Theron announced on Tuesday. EP Kings’ number eight Aidon Davis and Vodacom Blue Bulls’ fullback Jesse Kriel were confirmed as the two vice-captains.Third consecutive JWC tournament Pollard will be competing in his third consecutive JWC tournament and brings a wealth of experience to the squad, having made his Junior Bok debut in South Africa’s successful 2012 campaign on home soil. This season, Pollard has delivered consistently good performances for the Vodacom Bulls in their Vodacom Super Rugby campaign. He also recently toured New Zealand and Australia with the Pretoria franchise, which added to his playing experience.A natural choice Theron, the Junior Springbok coach, said Pollard was a natural choice for the role of leader of the team. “Handre has grown tremendously and made great strides as a player since making his debut for the SA under-20s two years ago,” Theron said in a statement. “He will, no doubt, command the respect of his team, both with his ability to dictate play from the flyhalf position and his natural leadership skills. With the assistance of Aidon and Jesse as vice-captains, I believe we have a very strong leadership core in the group.” Recent record Two years ago, in front of a record crowd for a JWC final, the Junior Springboks beat New Zealand 22-16 at Newlands in Cape Town in a pulsating encounter. Last year, the team staged a memorable comeback from 0-21 down to beat overcome the Kiwis 41-34 to secure third spot in France. Theron said Pollard’s experience of playing in and against New Zealand would be a great benefit to the squad: “Handre has had great success against nations such as New Zealand and England at this level, which is invaluable experience he will bring to his team mates,” Theron reckoned.A highlight and special moment Pollard said he was looking forward to representing the Junior Boks in New Zealand. “It’s an honour to represent your country and each time you pull on that jersey is a highlight and special moment. I am thankful for the confidence and leadership role that the coach has entrusted to me and I am looking forward to play in New Zealand with a very special group of players,” he said. The former Paarl Gymnasium captain could end the tournament as the highest career points’ scorer in the tournament’s history and also the most capped Junior Springbok at the JWC. Pollard has scored 76 points after playing in two JWC tournament so far, 42 points less than leading tournament points’ scorer Englishman Tom Homer.Series victory over Argentina The Junior Springboks completed a 3-0 series win over Argentina at the weekend and the 28-man squad will reassemble at their training camp in Stellenbosch on Sunday. The JWC takes place from 2 to 20 June in New Zealand. South Africa is in Pool C with Samoa, Scotland and the hosts, New Zealand. SAinfo reporter
A land allotment scam benefiting influential people has been unearthed in Tamil Nadu, exposing the misuse of Chief Minister M. Karunanidhi’s discretionary quota.Documents with Headlines Today show how rules were flouted to allot land to family members of politicians, top state bureaucrats and even former and sitting judges.In many cases, this was done by showing the allottees as social workers – one of the various eligibilities under the scheme. And to show a social work background, all that the allottees needed to get was a letter stating that they had donated blood in the past.As per Tamil Nadu Housing Board guidelines, land under the discretionary quota can be allotted to single women, widows or those deserted.Social workers, the physically challenged as well as eminent personalities from the field of arts, science, literature, public administration and sports too are eligible. Government officers can get land provided they have an unblemished record.Between 2001 and 2008, a total of 293 plots were allotted under the quota – 166 up to 2007 and another 127 the next year. Of these, 260 were handed out under the social worker category.”Judges, public prosecutors, IPS, IAS officers and even ex-bureaucrats are involved. MLAs and MPs have got plots claiming to be social workers. Social work certificates were issued by even municipal councillors. In some cases, the Salem tehsildar issued the social work certificate, which he was not authorised to do,” said Gopala Krishnan, an RTI activist.According to social activist Sudha Ramalingam, “The purpose of the housing board is to ensure that landless people get land at reasonable cost. This is a case of gross abuse of power.”advertisementOne of the plots was allotted to IGP (Intelligence) Jaffar Sait. He is now out to reap huge profits from the property.Sait has commissioned a builder to construct a multi-storey building with 12 flats, each costing Rs 1 crore even though the housing board rules do not permit commercial use of the land allotted.Reacting to the Headlines Today report, Tamil Nadu Revenue Minister I. Periyasamy said the land was allotted as per rules of Tamil Nadu Housing Board.
Congratulations to the following referees on receiving upgrades at the 2017 National Touch League.Level 4OpenTess LeahyJack Van Lohuizen Level 5OpenMatt ButlerAlec ClarkIsaac CossonVince CostiganMike EllisLachlan FreshwaterBen HarrisAdam HoganMitchell KennedyPatrick MoranJonathon Powyer Benjamin RogersLawren Sullivan SeniorAnthony BradleyCraig ButlerSimon BernieJohn ClarkPaul KeyteMike KenderesJoe MercuriMark MontgomeryGregory OatenBrendan O’FlynnDarren Toms Level 6OpenTim Ah SeePhilip BalcombeChristopher BensteadPatrick CostiganJake DavisJustin HillDean MacDonaldRobert McKayAlexander McCahonAdam TurnerAndrew WatkinsAlison WattersNicole WestAndrew YonSeniorPeter CrampIvan GiammarcoJoshua Little Paul RichardsonDavid TewkesburyJohn ViklundRelated LinksNTL Referee Upgrades
STOMP Out Bullying is thrilled to announce its newest Global Ambassadors, Alyssa Miller and Jameel McClain.Both Alyssa and Jameel are determined to shed light on the important subject of Bullying and Cyberbullying and those affected by it.“We are delighted that both Alyssa and Jameel are lending their names to this very important issue,” commented Ross Ellis founder and Chief Executive Officer of STOMP Out Bullying. “As role models, their voices can make such a difference.”While bullying may seem like “a rite of passage” among adolescents, many parents and kids don’t take it seriously until someone they know is directly affected by bullying or tragically, commits suicide.Here are the real facts:· 1 out of 4 kids is bullied· Depending upon their ages up to 43% of young people say they have been the victim of digital aggression· 9 out of 10 LGBT students experienced harassment at school· Child and teen Bullying and Cyberbullying are at an all-time high· Some kids are so tormented that suicide has become an alternative for them· Bullies are more likely to skip school, drop out of school, smoke, drink alcohol, get into fights and be arrested at some point in their life. 60% of boys who were bullies in middle school had at least one criminal conviction by the age of 24.· As many as 8% of students may stay home from school because they’re afraid of their bullies and/or they just can’t take the pain anymore.Alyssa Miller is a fashion and Sports Illustrated swimsuit model and California native who has always been passionate about bullying prevention.“Growing up in a big family made me realize the importance of always looking out for those you love,” she says. “While I’ve always been protective of my brothers and sisters, I recognize the importance of ensuring that every child is treated with the same respect they deserve.” In teaming up with STOMP Out Bullying and supporting their efforts, Alyssa hopes to empower those victimized while helping to prevent future cases of bullying.Jameel McClain, #53 Baltimore Ravens Super Bowl Champion XLVI is a native of North Philly and has participated in a variety of philanthropic events and bullying prevention is something he feels strongly about.He says, “When people say things that hurt, that takes a piece of you. You have to be strong because when these people see you sweat or they see it’s getting to you, that’s when they try to take advantage of you. We define our own destiny. We have to teach kids not to let circumstances dictate who they are.”Alyssa and Jameel are the newest Global Ambassadors for STOMP Out Bullying. For the full list click here.
Ottawa is spending $1.6 billion to help struggling energy companies stay afloat, buy new equipment and diversify as Alberta grapples with bargain basement oil prices.Natural Resources Minister Amarjeet Sohi says $1 billion is to be set aside through Export Development Canada for oil and gas companies to make capital investments and purchase new technology.Another $500 million is to be made available through the Business Development Bank of Canada over the next two years to help smaller oil and gas companies navigate the downturn.Sohi says a further $150 million is to be used for clean growth and infrastructure projects.The package does not include money for more rail cars that Alberta is planning to purchase to help move a glut of oil behind the low price of Canadian oil.Sohi says the money, largely in the form of commercial loans, is available immediately.“We understand that when Alberta hurts, so does Canada,” Sohi said Tuesday. “Together we can build a stronger Alberta (and) a more prosperous Canada.”The price of Alberta oil plummeted so low last month that Alberta Premier Rachel Notley said Canada was practically giving it away. While the world sells its oil at about $50 a barrel, Alberta’s oil at one point fetched only $11 a barrel.Notley plans to buy as many as 80 locomotives and 7,000 rail tankers — expected to cost hundreds of millions of dollars — and has announced an oil production cut to begin next year. That has helped push the price back up.She has said Canada’s economy is still losing as much as $80 million a day because of the discount.“We understand that for the long-term success and growth of the oil sector, nothing is more important than building the pipeline capacity to expand our non-U.S. global markets,” Sohi said.The Trans Mountain expansion project, which would triple the flow of oil to the British Columbia coast, is in limbo despite being approved two years ago. Ottawa is revisiting the potential impacts on First Nations and B.C.’s marine environment.Dean Bennett, The Canadian Press
RENO, Nev. — Property and business owners at Lake Tahoe are suing to block new restrictions on short-term vacation rentals they say are wreaking havoc on visiting families planning to spend the holidays at the mountain resort.A lawyer for the South Lake Tahoe Property Owners Group hoped to secure a temporary injunction Wednesday in California’s El Dorado County Superior Court suspending the new rental rules voters approved in November.But Andrew Pierce says Judge Michael McLaughlin cited an unspecified conflict of interest and recused himself from the case. A new hearing date hasn’t been set yet.A ban on short-term rentals affecting 1,400 properties outside South Lake Tahoe’s main tourist corridor doesn’t begin until 2020.But Pierce says a cap on the number of people who can stay in a rental home already has gone into effect. He says it’s unconstitutional.Scott Sonner, The Associated Press
See the full warning below.Issued at 2018-06-24 17:44 UTC by Environment Canada:Rainfall warning issued for:Fort Nelson, B.C. (088100)Current details:Rain, at times heavy, is expected.An approaching low-pressure system will move across the BC interior on Monday and then stall near the BC-Alberta-NWT border. As the low tracks across BC, heavy rain will develop Monday morning over the Fort Nelson and Muncho Lake Park – Stone Mountain Park regions. Rain amounts of 50 to 70 mm are expected by Tuesday morning.Heavy downpours can cause flash floods and water pooling on roads. Localized flooding in low-lying areas is possible.Please continue to monitor alerts and forecasts issued by Environment Canada. To report severe weather, send an email to [email protected] or tweet reports using #BCStorm. More details on the alert are available here.The latest status and details on all alerts, including alerts that are not part of your subscription, can be found here: http://www.weather.gc.ca/warnings/index_e.html FORT NELSON, B.C. – Environment Canada has issued a rainfall warning for Fort Nelson and along the Alaska Highway up to Muncho Lake.On top of the Severe Thunderstorm Watch that is also in effect for the same region, Environment Canada now says the region could see 50 to 70 mm of rain by Tuesday morning.An approaching low-pressure system will move across the BC interior on Monday and then stall near the BC-Alberta-NWT border. As the low tracks across BC, heavy rain will develop Monday morning over the Fort Nelson and Muncho Lake Park – Stone Mountain Park regions.